This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SRCDIR question

5 replies to this topic

madmaxandme

madmaxandme
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 16:02

Hello all,

Actually, this question pertains to most installer system variables.  I'm calling this message dialog box for testing purposes:

SdShowMsg ( SRCDIR , TRUE );

Why does SRCDIR have a value of :   ""  
when I debug?  It seems that everytime I want to use these kinds of variables, the values are un-initialized.  What should I do to initialize them (ie: SRCDIR).

Thanks for your reply-

Scott Williams

Scott Williams
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 16:11

I'm guessing this is something specific to InstallShield, but just when dealing with MSI properties, they are very much case sensitive.  For instance, the Private property SourceDir, must be used in that way, capital S and D, all the rest lowercase.  Where the TARGETDIR needs to be referenced as all caps.

The differecne is that SourceDir is a private property, and TARGETDIR is a public one.  I know that one bit me on the butt when I was first working with the windows installer, perhaps this is the same problem you are having??

If that isn't it, then perhaps at the time you are displaying this message box is just before those values have been initialized.

madmaxandme

madmaxandme
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 17:55

Thanks for your prompt response Scott.

Actually, my install script runs in between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize.  

This means that a certain MSI standard action named ResolveSource is called first.

The purpose of ResolveSource is to, from help index, "Finds the location of the source and sets the SourceDir property."

and

SRCDIR "is initialized to the value of the Windows Installer property SourceDir".

But my SRCDIR still shows no value when I debug my install script.  I can't use SourceDir since it's just a property as I've tried that too.

I'm still checking this out...

Scott Williams

Scott Williams
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 20:55

Then I'm thinking this is InstallShield specific.  You might want to try in the InstallShield groups below.  I'm not sure.

madmaxandme

madmaxandme
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 22:42

Got it.  I've made sure the resolvesource CA is after Costinitialize + from another InstallSite post (forgot who posted it!  sorry!) add through powereditor under directory table:
SOURCEDISK, blank, SOURCEDIR.

works like a charm.

Thanks for your help!

madmaxandme

madmaxandme
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 23:43

SOURCEDISKDIR I mean.  Thanks Thomas-