This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MS Paint won't print

4 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 21:54

Well, I have another weird and esoteric question.

During our installation, I set up several users.  One of which I severely curtail permissions allowed.   This user only sees the START button which only has the Programs section showing.  If he clicks it, it shows only our product which has several shortcuts.

It has three proprietary shortcuts, a shortcut to MSPaint, and a shortcut to Log Off (needed since shutdown is not available).

With me so far?  :)

The problem is that the user can open MSPaint and perform any needed operations ( such as cropping pics from our database that he accessed with our files - needed if he wants to show a point of interest).  Unfortunately, he can't print it from MSPaint.  I get an error "Can not complete the requested operation").  All the other users can use all functions of MSPaint no problem.  Also, if I add a shortcut to MS Word the user can print from there no problem (unfortunately not all field systems have Word).

I have gone into the administrator user and tried playing with permissions and adding the user to different groups.  Plus removing him from all groups and readding him.  The user is currently listed as a power user.

I'm really confused by this because it doesn't seem to be a permissions problem, since the user can print from MS Word.  Plus MS Paint doesn't seem to be corrupted since everyone else can use it just fine.

Here's the permissions I remove from Explorer (since it's so tied int Windows):
Code Sample
RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_CURRENT_USER);

szKey = "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\Explorer";

RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoClose", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoCommonGroups", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoDesktop", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoFileMenu", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoFind", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoRun", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoSetFolders", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoSetTaskbar", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
       // test test
//nResult = RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoStartMenuSubFolders", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoTrayContextMenu", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
   RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "NoFavoritesMenu", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);

szKey = "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\System";

RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "DisableTaskMgr", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);
   RegDBSetKeyValueEx(szKey, "DisableRegistryTools", REGDB_NUMBER, "1", -1);  

// Delete Internet Explorer folder from the programs menu
ProgDefGroupType(PERSONAL);  

end;

Anyone have ideas, suggestions, catcalls from the audience?
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 23:24

Update:

I've discovered it's just not a problem for MSPaint but also Notepad.  If I hack into a command prompt (using The Help button - careful what you leave access to :) ), run Notepad, and try to print I get the same error.  Notepad and Paint bring you to a print screen whereas Word seems to have its own printing capabilities built-in.

It might be I've shut off permission to get to the exe? that Notepad and Paint use.  Possible "print.exe" in System32 for Win2k?  (I tried running it by itself and it just popped up a DOS window for 300 jiffies (an actaul measure of time - look it up)).  

I'll update when I know more or I decide to shave my head and become a Trappist Monk (has to Trappist for the beer damnit  :0 )

There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 23:55

I'm confident in saying that a normal Power User can print from these applications (i.e. Paint, Notepad) so it's definitely something you messed with.  Out of curiousity though, how about WordPad since it's closer to Word?

Also, I do see that jiffies are an actual measure of time, but it seems that it comes that evil world of Linux. :angry:
user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 00:17

The user is listed as a Power User, but still no go.  I knew it was something I screwed up ( it usually is :) ), but I can't figure out what

Actually a jiffy was a scientific measure first, Linux just uses it.   Besides Linux isn't eeeeeevvvvvvvviiiiiillllllll <- said in a sinister voice, it's just Dark.  It's Dark because of all it's Power.   Come to the Dark side Taco.....   :giggling maniacally:

( can someone really giggle maniacally?)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 21:33

Wouldn't Dependency Walker catch the failing API call?