This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

The feature makes Dev7 package more depending...

4 replies to this topic

Peter Bi

Peter Bi
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 00:51

Hi,

I just found that Dev7 changed the Release Wizard, it adds one more selection to install script engine if there is now engine in target machine. You can select from 1) Internet download; 2) Wrap in setup.exe; 3) Copy from source media.

What an ugly feature! Unfortunately my package uses only .msi file+program files folder, and I don't know if my target machine has internet connection, then I have to copy the ISScript.msi from source media, ooh God, poor Dev7...

Questions I am facing: do I have include a copy of ISScript.msi in my package? What if it is upgraded later (do I need to upgrade all my released product too)?

My guess is that InstallShield do that on Dev7 because they want to reduce the size of the package, since in some cases either the target machine has ISScript.msi installed or it has internet connection... but what about the other cases? It's NOT a good way to do that...

The added 'feature' make Dev7 package more restricted or more depending: (if you don't have ISScript.msi installed on target machine)you need to have internet connection, or need to have setup.exe in package, or have to have a copy of ISScript.msi.....:(

Please have comments/corrections on above, I am really appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 09:07

isscript.msi will automatically be added to your Disk1 directory if that option is selected.

Peter Bi

Peter Bi
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 18:25

Stefan,

I remember I said 'my package uses only .msi file+program files folder' in last post. And my understanding is that Dev7 allow you to include the engine file IF you create a launcher (setup.exe)...

Here is my release wizard configuration:
->NetworkImage
->File uncompressed and separate from installation package...
->My package don't have (and I don't want to create) setup.exe, I don't know what option(s) I should select, and only in this step can I see option about MSI engine -- GOOD FEATURE I talked about!!!
->Copy from source media
->Advanced settings .....

I have tried to select or deselect the 'Have setup.exe install WinNT MSI engine', neither of them can automatically add the isscript.msi to my Disk1 directory, as you said.

Peter Bi

Peter Bi
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2001 - 23:12

Stefan,

And even worse, I manully copied the isscript.msi to the Disk1 dir, i.e. my package now have \program files, mypkg.msi and isscript.msi, but when I try to install by running mypkg.msi, I got the same error (mssing InstallScript engine)!!

It drives me mad!

Shouldn't InstallShield document Dev7 as "In order to install packages created with Dev7, you need install ISScript.msi first"?

Peter Bi

Peter Bi
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 00:57

Ok, InstallShield support said it's a feature problem (I still consider it as a bug), but not a bug, and no workaround for it.

So disappointed! Anybody around there can have a suggestion on the problem? This will definitly delay our process to use Dev7, and make me suspect the statements on InstallShield homepage about Dev7...