This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade create 2 entry in Add/Remove Program

2 replies to this topic

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:04

Hi All,

I am doing major upgrade using .msi project where i am changing the product code in each package, but while doing the upgrade it does not detect the same. and runs as normal installer and creates another entry in the Add/Remove program files.
Is there any way i can make the new package understand same product is installed and this is major upgrade, remove the existing product and install the new one and hence do not create multiple entry in Add/Remove Program files.

Thanks for the help in advance...

~Rakesh

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 13:22

I do add upgrade code in the upgrade table to make the .msi installer understand its a major upgrade, I use a custom property MAJORUPGRADE and set this property in one of the customaction that i have written to make the package understand its a major upgrade, in that scenario new package understand its a major upgrade but does nor remove the earlier version of the product and hence creates 2 entry in the add/remove program.
Is there a way not to create 2 entry in the add/remove program in the major upgrade case?

As per the documentation it should uninstall older version and install new version but it is not uninsalling older version.

Any help will be much benificial for me..

Thanks for the help in advance...

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:48

Hi All,
I found out how the major upgrade really take place.
Actually after FindRelatedProduct CA Installshield sets the property of the UpgradeTable in the Action column to the value of the product code, which is used for the uninstallation of the existing product.
One thing that i was doing wrong is setting that property in my own CA which was removing the product code set in that property causing not to uninstall existing product.
I have configured my CA to set that property only if it is not set and now it is working fine.

Thanks for the help Any way...