This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

String to Number?

6 replies to this topic

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2001 - 20:57

Has anyone had any trouble with the StrToNum function? I've got a string stored in a property. I need to convert it to a number but I'm doing something wrong...

Help?

svString =  @SERIALNUMBER;
nResultNumber = StrToNum (nvVar, svString);

if nResultNumber<0 then

MessageBox ("Did not convert string to number", INFORMATION);

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 August 2001 - 22:02

Insert this to see what you are actually converting:
MessageBox(svString, INFORMATION);

Note that @SERIALNUMBER is a string table entry, not a property.

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2001 - 22:38

oops. thanks.

(Edited by Kate at 11:19 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 13:20

To Stefan Krueger:
Don't You think that this forum becomes full of trivial questions like this one? Many of these question would be solved by their authors if they put MessageBox inside to see what actualy they are doing (or if they used Debug InstallScript command).
Becaus of that this forum becomes less and less comprendious. Maybe questions like this can be removed after they are answered - they offer nithing new to other readers.
I would also like to appeal to developers to think first before sending questions into forum.

Kate

Kate
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 17:24

Rastislav Zima -

Oh my. Ouch.

Turns out I was doing something wrong that had nothing to do with property vs. string but I didn't really see the need to post that.

Perhaps you could just ignore the sections of the board that either don't appeal to you or offend you in some way.

That's all I have to say on the subject. I won't post anymore about this particular incident because this board is here to help people -not degrade them.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 22:19

Rastislav, please contact me at webmaster@installsite.org - I'd prefer to discuss this offline. Thanks.

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2001 - 10:19

Kate,

Sorry I didn't want to offend You and I feel realy sorry if You have found yourself offended.
Thing is, that forum is divided into pages, and by increasing the number of  topics the number of pages rises - the result of this is that people don't want to browse through large number of pages to see if their question is already answered and they put into the forum questions that are already answered - and result of this is that forum becomes less comprendious.

That is the reason why I asked Mr.Krueger If questions like this could be deleted AFTER they are answered because You must admit that this question doesn't provide any new knowledges to other people reading the forum - just causes the above mentioned effect.

I think that It's elementary principle that if some function doesn't work - especialy if it's system function which is supposed to work propperly - input values of the function have to be checked first - that's the reason why we have debugers.