This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to Avoid Resiliency of install shield

3 replies to this topic

AVS

AVS
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:58

Hi

I have a Basic MSI project that installs some dlls to a location say "C:\programfiles (x86)\CompanyA\Service". The folder access permissions restricts access to standard account(non administrator). Now i launch the application using a standard account , which doesn't uses the dlls in the above said location. But due to the resiliency feature of install shield, it tries to check the components. As the above component is not accessible it starts self repairing process showing  a dialog "Please wait while windows configures ProductA" .

Is there any option to turn off this resiliency feature?

Or Is there any way to hide the Re-installation dialog?

Please suggest if we have any other solution for the above problem. 

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:39

One option would be to split the install and put those files in an extra msi.

You can turn off resiliency for a component by leaving the ComponentId empty. You can delete the GUID in Direct Editor. However this component will then no longer be managed by Windows Installer - not repaired and also not uninstalled.

AVS

AVS
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:51

Just a thought. I can delete the component "C:\programfiles (x86)\CompanyA\Service" from my Msi project. Add the dlls to support files. And write install script to copy the dlls to the folder "C:\programfiles (x86)\CompanyA\Service". Another install script to manage the deletion of dlls during uninstallation. These are dotnet dlls, doesnt require registration, XCOPY would do.

Please suggest your thoughts on this approach. Any side effects or any thing that i should take care in this approach

Edited by AVS, 05 September 2013 - 06:04.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:55

Should also work. But you loose the benefit of listing all files in the File tabel etc. which helps administrator to manage MSIs. That part of your install would become a black box.