This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Resitributable Package (x86)

4 replies to this topic

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:36

HI. 

We are trying to test out our software with the latest VCredist package, but I have a problem. 

Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Package (x86) is not in the redistributable list in Installshield Professional 2016. So I believe that I have to make it my self. 

Can anyone give me a recipe on how to do this?? 

I have tried to use the Prerequsite Editor, and that looks like it works, but when I run the setup of my application I see in my control panel that Mircosoft Visual C++ 2017 is not installed, at least it's not in the Add/remove Program list. 

Can anyone help me with this? 

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 13:09

If you have a support agreement I would upgrade your installation to Installshield 2018. You could check the pricing for an update if not.

The latest supported Visual C++ downloads. There are also merge modules for this runtime, but they recommend you install the EXE version due to some Universal CRT issues. Here is a list of distributable code files for Visual Studio 2017.

The EXE version of the runtime has a number of command line switches that you use to install in silent mode. I think you use something like: vc_redist.x86.exe /install /passive /norestart I will check that a little later. Run the exe with /? to check parameters. I would use a Suite Project instead of an MSI to install the runtime executable. These projects are essentially launchers that launch binaries, MSI files and other files to install in sequence. That way you avoid MSI's complex sequencing and impersonation problems. You should also be able to use the setup.exe launcher, but I am not sure how you would add a custom executable to the launch sequence. Stefan would certainly know.

I have seen reports of crashes and problems installing the latest runtime - it seems to relate to an embedded Windows Update package:

That is all I know about this issue, there could be more. Why Microsoft doesn't just install this runtime as a Windows Update is beyond me. All applications compiled with Visual Studio (C++ and then some) basically need them. A little rant at the end.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 28 October 2018 - 13:59.
More intel.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:56

Hi.

Thanks for great info. I will check for an update, to start with. 

I have done some more research and I see that when I use the Prerequsite Editor (tool) to add VCredist 2017 manually it works on windows 10, but not on Windows 7. 

I have read somewhere at VCredist 2017 should work on windows 7 with SP1, I have tried that but the setup always fails. Even if I try to only install VCredist 2017, that fails too. 

Do you know anything else around this matter? 

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 18:07

If your vc_redist.x86.exe doesn't work by itself, then it's not an InstallShield problem. Either you downloaded the wrong package or your operating system is not supported. You didn't say in which way vc_redist.x86.exe fails. Is there an error message? Which edition of Windows 7 are you testing on? This document lists the system requirements: https://docs.microso...requirements-vs

It says:

"The Visual C++ Redistributable supports the same system requirements as Visual Studio with the following changes: Also installs on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP2, and Windows XP SP3."

and:

"Visual Studio 2017 will install and run on the following operating systems: ... Windows 7 SP1 (with latest Windows Updates): Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate"

Note that Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Starter are not included in either list.

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:18

It turned out to be the OS we used, så I have to change that to make sure the test is OK. 

We have to take a couple of rounds on how many different OS we will support. 

Thanks again for all your help ;)