This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Propagating HKCU registry entries for different users

6 replies to this topic

rond

rond
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 17:45

I have a per machine MSI package that sets some registry entries in HKCU. According to the MSDN documentation these should be propageted to other user's HKCU hives when they log in. This does not happen. Any ideas?

garnold

garnold
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 16:31

I had this same problem.  I am using IPWI 2.03.  To fix it, I did the following:
1. Put my registry entries in their own component
2.  Set one of the registry values as the "key" value -- To set as the key value, go to the registry values under the component.  Right click on the value and choose "Set Key Path".

Greg

Aaron Pedigo

Aaron Pedigo
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 21:56

Greg,
Does this work for users who have not been created yet, or just users who currently have an account on the machine?

garnold

garnold
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 22:06

It has been a while, but I believe that registry entries are added when the user logs in for the first time.  If you add a new user account after the product is installed, the registry entries will be created in HKCU when the new user logs in for the first time.

Good luck,

Greg

Aaron Pedigo

Aaron Pedigo
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 22:28

Ok,
This seems like it is a simple task.
Could i send you a tiny sample project with only 1 feature and component and tell me what i'm missing.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

garnold

garnold
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 22:54

I'd be happy to help.  Let's take it offline for now.  I have sent you an email.

Greg

Mel Arviso

Mel Arviso
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 20:16

Tip:  MSIs heal at the feature level, if your HKCU is part of a large feature this can take a long time, longer than most users want to wait.  A workaround is to create a sub-feature and move the HKCU and advertised shortcut components to the sub-feature.  During HKCU healing, only the sub-feature is healed - Much faster.