This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Nested MSI issue

2 replies to this topic

Seno

Seno
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:45

Hi,
I have problems dealing with nested msi. I have two msis that I need to install as one package (active directory deployment). I'm using the nested msi feature to do that e.g. I created anothe msi that calls those two msi.

After several tests, finally I can make it work... in admin mode. After I load the parent msi to the server and publish it, I encountered problem on the client side (non-admin).

Seems like the child msis has higher elevated state than the parent (I cant remember the error code). One method I can think of is to have the msi installed in "deferred execution in system context"/ However, I don't know how to do that correctly? I tried installing using msiexec, but it fails (nested msi error 1618)

Appreciate any input.

Edited by Seno, 22 February 2007 - 12:46.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 13:49

Nested MSI installs never really worked, and the feature is deprecated. Sorry mate, but don't use it - u need to set up some other way to ensure the required prerequisite packages are deployed prior to the main package.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Seno

Seno
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:00

Hi Stein and all,

I read somewhere in the forum about the chain.exe, but can't seem to understand how it works and where to get it. I mean how does it overcome error 1618. Do you know where I can get more info on that?

Thanks,

Edited by Seno, 23 February 2007 - 03:01.