This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade or not upgrade?

2 replies to this topic

douglas quaid

douglas quaid
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:55

Hi

Up until now I have been using installshield Professional 6.2 to install Visual Basic 6 applications. I am about to enter the world of VB.Net and I'm wondering if there is any reason why I cannot just continue to use installshield Professional 6.2 for my installations? Should I upgrade to DevStudio 9?

If anyone has any thoughts on this matter they would be much appreciated

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:17

DevStudio can scan your VB.NET project, and it can automatically distribute the .NET Framework. For more information about what's new see What's new in DevStudio 9 for IS Professional users. You can also downlaod the evaluation version and try it yourself.
InstallShield offers a migration guarantee for Professional setups:
http://www.installsh...o/migration.asp

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 18:52

My $0.02:

Our compnay recently purchased IS Pro 7. In our new project we needed to install some middle ware as web services. The IS Pro 7 was not able to do this. They have said the would be supporting virtual directories and such in the future, but I needed it now. I did find some work-arounds and have made it work for me. But Dev 9 is supposed to have support for this sort of thing built in already.

If I had to do it over agian, I would hvae looked a lot closer at Dev 9 before buying Pro 7.

Good luck
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)