This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Ini file changes confusion

4 replies to this topic

hooifong

hooifong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:56

I'm using InstallShield x premier, and i'm a new learner...

Recently i face one problem about the ini file changes. I try to get user input value and replace some value inside the ini file for the first time installation. This user input value is store as the property and have the default value in case user din key in anything...

But when i do the patch or minor upgrade on this installer. The value on the existing ini file will always be replace by the default value in the property.

I try to find whether there got such method which i can set the condition that user can only replace the old value for their first time installation. Other time, this ini value is set to not overwrite, but it seems like no condition setting is provided.

I'm not sure whether i'm in the correct way on doing the ini files changes.. but can anyone please help me.. Thanks...........

KKop

KKop
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:31

In the INI File Changes area, you can set the keyword in an INI section to 'Not Overwrite'. That should do it, I think.

hooifong

hooifong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:22

Thanks for ur reply first, KKop...

Actually i did try that previously, for the minor upgrade, i set those INI section to 'Not Overwrite'.. And the default value won't overwrite the value inside the ini file. But since minor upgrade version of installer can also use for first time installation, if i set them to 'Not Overwrite', then the user input info won't write to the ini file also, right???

Now, it's like my upgrade version of installer cannot put 'Replay Old Value' for the upgrade purpose, and 'Not Overwrite' for the first time installation purpose...

I believe there should be a way to manage these ini files changes, but maybe i'm too new to know how to do it, that's why i'm eagerly hoping i can get helps here.... Million thanks for any reply....

KKop

KKop
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:43

If the value for the INI entry is blank, 'Not Overwrite' will be ignored, and the value will still be written.

So, for your initial install, use an INI file where the entry is blank, ensuring that the value is written.

When you do the upgrade, the INI file will already have a value in there, and the 'Not Overwrite' will kick in.

hooifong

hooifong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 13:09

Hey, thanks.. KKop...

I try to do the way u said and it's work... Just make sure the ini entry is empty for the first time installation and set the section to be "Do Not Overwrite", it solve all my problems...

Thanks a lot.... tongue.gif