This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Automatic Smart Device Installations

1 reply to this topic

donaldray1971

donaldray1971
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 15:19

How do I create an executable that can be launched on the user's desktop PC to automatically install my software on their PDA through ActiveSync? Initially we were looking into using WISE to build our setup and I know the wise installer would create this executable, however due to some unresolved issue with WISE the only thing that was being installed was the compact framework.

Now that we have switched over to evaluate InstallShield, the install is being handled completely with one major exception. I get multiple cabfiles, i.e. the main cab containing my program and associated files, a cab for the compact framework, and cabs for sqlCe. All of these would have to be manually copied to the PDA and installed from there. Most of our end-users would find this a difficult task(yes, seriously).

There has to be a way to do this. I can't believe WISE is ahead of InstallShield in anything. Perhaps it is something that express doesn't do that one of the other versions will.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by donaldray1971, 22 December 2003 - 15:20.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:07

Instead of the Smart Device project type, create a regular setup (Basic MSI project), and in Redistributables view add the Windows CD object. This should generate the same smart device installation, but packaged inside a desktop setup (.msi) that when run will copy the CABs to the correct locations for ActiveSync.