This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Hide patches to be displayed in ARP

4 replies to this topic

SrikanthCJ

SrikanthCJ
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 18:39

Hi,

We want the patches for the products to be hidden from the Add / Remove program.

Is there any way to hide the display in the ARP.

We need to do this for Windows 2003 and Windows XP.

regards,
Srikanth

Edited by SrikanthCJ, 07 October 2005 - 18:40.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:41

No.

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:18

Why do you want to hide them? You could make them non-uninstallable.

SrikanthCJ

SrikanthCJ
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:39

Stefan,

My main requirement is to make the patch uninstallable.

We are writing a Remove patch Utility which has got certain custom logic to be executed when the patch is removed. We wanted the customers to use the remove patch utility to remove the patches and not through ARP. Is this possible ?

I am wondering if i add custom action to the patch, the custom action has to be present in the base MSI. Isnt it?

Lets say after the release of the product, if i want to change the logic due to many reasons, how do i deliver the same through patch?. Please advice

Any comments are welcome.

regards,
Srikanth

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:19

We wanted the customers to use the remove patch utility to remove the patches and not through ARP. Is this possible ?

Not sure. You could try to ark your setup as system component, thus it will not be displayed in ARP. Then you need to add entries to the Uninstall registry key yourself to add it to ARP.

A patch changes the MSI database. Custom actions are stored in the MSI database, so you should be able to add or modify custom actions in a patch, even if they didn't exist in the original MSI. However a patch cannot add a custom action that should be executed when this patch is uninstalled because the patch doesn't get executed in this case. A "patch uninstall" actually isn't a uninstall, but a repair of the productwith the unpatched msi file.