This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Cannot Access Windows Installer after Uninstall

2 replies to this topic

rich872

rich872
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:27

Alright, I'm packaging an app for work and finally got every function working properly after countless hours of troubleshooting. Then I tested out the uninstall. After I install the app, everything works great, I can install/uninstall other apps no problem. But if I uninstall the original app, then I cannot install anything else unless I reboot which is unacceptable. The original setup does not require a reboot after uninstall. If I do try to install another app without a reboot then I get the error "Windows installer service could not be accessed...." If I try to manually start the windows installer service the I get the error message: "Could not start the Windows installer service on the local computer. Error 1018: Illegal operation detected on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." I have google this to no end, tried to use procmon, and have the uninstall log if anyone wants me to post it. I'm fairly new to packaging apps and am pleading for some of you experts to help me figure this out. Thanks in advance.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:24

Why not use a lightweight snapshot tool (my preferred weapon is Ziff-Davis' In Control - Google for 'InCtrl5.ZIP') to snap before the reboot, reboot then re-snap after? That will show you what changed and you can work from that point. Of course the snap will be full of junk you're not interested in but at least you know you can ignore files (since WI flagged a registry key as marked for deletion).

Before that, though, I'd persist with ProcMon. Use it right before you try to restart WI service - it will show you the key in question being accessed.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 13:19

For future searchers, this discussion continued on AppDeploy
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.