This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need your help to start MSI installer's project

4 replies to this topic

Amol_MSI

Amol_MSI
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:19

We are in process of creating new installer for our product. Before going ahead to start writing new installer we need feedback from you. We have two options WIX and there is an option in .Net namely "Setup and Deployment Projects". So please let me know which option is better and will ease our job while developing installers by providing good features.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 16:18

Third option: invest a few dollars in a proper authoring environment. Anything else just looks cheap.

Also, for the sake of those who may have to deploy your product, please avoid custom code in set-up stubs (i.e. InstallShield/Wise Script) and stick to what plain ol' MSI is capable of.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Amol_MSI

Amol_MSI
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:47

Do u mean to say we should go for WIX? We are not going to use any installshield tool we have already ruled out that option. Other option is .Net where we can create MSI project using "Setup and Deployment Projects" option. So just wanted to know which one is better WIX or .Net project option.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:22

Er, no, I'm saying get a proper authoring tool! Wix will involve you in unnecessary complication if you're new to packagaing. It has its adherents but they tend to be people who know packaging - and XML - inside out. The Deployment Wizard in VS is free and you get what you pay for. If all you're doing is adding files and registry entries it'll do but anything beyond that and you'll have to get into editing the tables directly with Orca. As a newcomer, you want to avoid THAT.

I wonder why you have ruled out IS. Wise/Altiris, too? If it's a cost issue - and I honestly can't imagine what else it might be - then maybe look at some of the less well-known MSI authoring software but be prepared to go it alone as they will be proportionately less well-supported.

You will end up bald going any other route, trust me.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:22

We have two options WIX and there is an option in .Net namely "Setup and Deployment Projects". So please let me know which option is better and will ease our job while developing installers by providing good features.

WiX is better, "Setup and Deployment Projects" are easier to use - as long as you stay within their quite limited boundaries.
http://www.installsi...g/go/msidev.htm lists all availabel msi authoring tools. For instance, you could use a GUI frontend for WiX, like WiXEdit. Or you could look at AdvancedInstaller. Just to name two.