This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

force install to new directory

4 replies to this topic

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:35

Hi all.
I'm working on Basic MSI project on InstallShield X.

I want my installer to force install my product only to new directory.
I'm planning to check whether [INSTALLDIR] is already exist in target system when Next button on DestinationFolder dialog is pushed.

So, does anyone know which property or something else I should refer to check directory existence ? Or it should be done by CA as usual ?

Any suggestions are greatly appliciated.
Thank you.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:32

You could do an appsearch, or you can use a custom action. I always prefer to code things like this since you get more control, but either way should work. Keep in mind that actions you insert in the user interface section will not run when you run the setup in silent mode. You should insert a similar custom action in the execute sequence to abort installation if the directory already exists.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:08

Hi Glytzhkof ! Thank you for reply.

I don't know much about AppSearch, but I think it can't be used for my case.
Because...
1. AppSearch action located early step of install sequence than DestinationFolder, so INSTALLDIR is unknown at that time.
2. AppSearch action can't be inserted just after DestinationFolder, even if it is allowed to move the action from original sequence order.
3. It is not allowed to specify full path for AppSearch directory.

I'll try to do that by CA, thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:08

You could read the pürevious installdir from registry using AppSearch.
If that isn't an option you would have to perform the check after the user has selected INSTALLDIR, using a custom action.

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:34

Hi, thanks for advice.

I want to do the check only when virgin install, so I set the condition for the CA as :
(Not Installed) And (Not IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE).

And I will use registry for previous INSTALLDIR as default path for the future major upgrade install, using AppSearch.

Thanks a lot !