This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

key files are not copied during reinstall

4 replies to this topic

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 21:51

hello

My reinstall work fine except, when i reinstall whole project (all the features) it copies all the files except the key files.

is this know issue for install shield 7.4??

thank you

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 01:48

This sounds kind of strange. The keyfiles is the only one that is evaluated during installation to determine if the whole component in question should be reinstalled or not. It should not be the case that it is not replaced, but maybe I am missing something obvious.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 16:04

like you said Glytzhkof,
when i first try to reinstall, key files are the only files that i can manage to copy.
but i have added some other conditions such as :

ReinstallMode omus Repair="1"
Reinstall Feature1 Repair="1"
Reinstall Feature2 Repair="1"
Reinstall Feature3 Repair="1"

(1)i install feature1 only then reinstall, it works fine.
(2)i remove whole project then install all the features in my project. then i reinstall, all the files are copied except the key files.

as you mention, this is very strange. does this mean i can not reinstall whole project??

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 15:56

i have tried various approaches with ReinstallMode. I make a substition for 'o'.
i tried p, e, d, and a. but those did work as i intended it to.

reinstall works ONLY when the key files are missing from the local machine.
i modified the key files and delete other files, it fails to reinstall.

has anyone experienced this ??? and found the solution??

thank you

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:53

If the keyfile is a non-versioned file windows installer will not replace the file if the create date and modified date of the file on disk is different. This is the case even if the file in the installer is newer. In general it is a good idea to make key files versioned since this will allow more exact control over the reinstall behavior.

If you schedule a custom action before costing in the user interface sequence and have this action delete the file you want replaced, then the component will be reinstalled when you install since windows installer doesn't "see" that the file was alredy installed.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul