This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Internal Error 0x80040707

4 replies to this topic

mnowell

mnowell
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 14:26

Hi there !
Two of our users have experienced this error when testing a beta version of one of my companies in house pieces of software.

The error appeared as below:

Internal Error 0x80040707
Description:

This appears when the 'Preparing InstallShield Wizard' just about reaches the end.  Click OK and the error appears again, but this time without the 'Preparing InstallShield Wizard' display on screen.  Click OK and the following error appears when the 'InstallShield Wizard Screen' finally appears.

Component Transfer Error
Unknown Error:

Both machines are networked and are attached to the same domain, although they exist in different subnets.  The installation is compiled in InstallShield 6.12.

Our users have specific policies applied to there machines.  One of which is that their 'Custom Programs Folder' points to a location on the network (makes everyone in there department have the same start menu), the N: in our case.  If the problematic setup routine is run, and as in our users don't have permissions to write/modify, the setup fails.  If the policy is changed to point to the standard 'C:\WINDOWS\PROGRAMS\START MENU' or if they have write/modify permissions it runs without fault.  The bizarre thing is that the installation doesn't place any folders/shortcuts in the StartMenu.  Does InstallShield still try to access the StartMenu for some reason?

This might explain why someone else on this forum (can't remember his/her name) got the error when they change from a Workgroup to a Domain if they had policies applied.

If any more info is needed, just ask.

Mike

VikingBabe

VikingBabe
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 00:42

I received the internal error (0x80040707) while trying to install Quickbooks (on my Win98 system - I have all the proper requirements for the program).

Quickbooks said they never heard of this problem (ha!).

Any recent updates on it?

I have InstallShield 6.0 and am not a techie - just a regular person trying to put this idiotic program on my system.

Help!

Jon Masters

Jon Masters
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 22:23

Today I wasted eight hours of my life...again.

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing more than excessive grief trying to install any products which use Install Shield software - they often simply fail to install with either of the two errors mentioned. I have tried various fixes, including installing the dummy posted here to upgrade my ikernel.exe - but to no avail.

For the past few hours I have been trying to install an ATI product on Windows 2000 Professional. This product is called "MMC" ("MultiMedia Centre") and is a component of the software shipped with their All In Wonder Radeon bundle - which a client requires, along with other software in the bundle, in order to use some of the video editing features of the card.

For what it's worth I have to say I am the most disappointed that I have been with a software vendor for some time. The only fixes available are to perform a complete re-installation and to ensure any software is installed prior to joining a domain - it is at that point that everything goes *forever* pear shaped.

In my personal life, I use only Debian GNU/Linux and apt, a fully functional installer/package manager which does not have any of these problems.

I will be contacting theregister and other appropriate media outlets shortly - hopefully they will be able to ascertain why it is that this problem still persists.

--jcm

braindeed

braindeed
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 14:33

I've found a workaround that may work for some programs that are installed using the InstallShield in win2k and come up with the error.  The workaround is to simply install the program while in safe mode.  I know this isn't suitable for all but it may help some.

Jon Masters

Jon Masters
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 06:12

braindeed writes:

> I've found a workaround that may work for some programs that are installed using the InstallShield in win2k
> and come up with the error.  The workaround is to simply install the program while in safe mode.  I know
> this isn't suitable for all but it may help some.

Unfortunately this does not work in the general case at all, neither does removing all trace of Install Shield's
"wonderful" software from an infected system (registry keys, program files, etc.) and then running the file
supplied by this forum. No, in general, absolutely fscking nothing works to get around this problem, it all
sucks and Install Shield had really really better feel sorry for their customers and end users.

Actually, who knows, how many people have this error? How many people can they ignore?

It really is just a pity how often I am reminded that I am better off with UNIX systems which don't randomly
break like this - some people I work for still use Microsoft products a little and I just about live with that
because they only do so on a few desktops. I don't think I could handle working with hundreds of W2K
desktops though, not with rubbish like this to contend with, I think suicide would be an appealing option...

--jcm