This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Uninstall with Custom Dialog Box

5 replies to this topic

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 16:58

Hi,

My current problem is as follows.

I am trying to run a silent uninstall of an older version of my software. so I have created a .iss file to use for this matter. I have two versions of the software, one that uses SdWelcomeMaint (Project A) and one that uses a custom dialog SdWelcomeMaintCust (Project cool.gif.

I first created a response file for Project A, and it works like a charm. I then created a response file for Project B, and I noticed that there is no reference to the Custom Dialog box in the ISS.

So I took the ISS for Project A, and modified it for Project B, changing the name of the SdWelcomeMaint to SdWelcomeMaintCust. Now the two projects are identical save for this one dialog box (same GUID, Product Code, etc...)

When I run the uninstall of Project B with the response file, it displays SdWelcomeMaintCust, and after I hit next it uninstalls the rest of the project silently.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem? I would like to be able to run the Project B uninstall silently.

Thanks..

Philippe Dallaire

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 12:38

In the script for your custom dialog, add the code required to support recording and playback of silent installs.

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 19:16

This is a problem, since I need to do a silent install of a product already out in production.

in other words, I can modify the script at this point.

Unfortunately I'm often getting screwed with problems like this, where they decide to do things differently for following versions.

Phil

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 17:05

You can specify an alternate script on the command line. I have never tried this for uninstall but it's worth a try.

BTW This was not changed. You always need to include the appropriate function calls (SilentWriteData/SilentReadData) for your custom dialogs in InstallScript.

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 19:20

Stefan,

In hindsight I'm realising the advantage of creating the silent info in the custom dialogs.. unfortunately when I built the custom dialog box, i was winging it.

You mentionned using an alternate script... is there anywhere on the site that has more information on creating/using an alternate script? or is there something you can point me to?

Thanks,

Phil

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 20:21

Launching setup.exe with the /f switch enables you to specify an alternate script (compiled .rul) file. You could create a version that either supports silent installs in your custom dialogs, or doesn't display your custom dialogs at all (not no dialogs at all).