This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do I edit an existing install's uninstall?

4 replies to this topic

thebert99

thebert99
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 17:35

Can someone please tell me how to edit an existing install's uninstall process?  I assume that I have to edit the uninst.isu file, but that file contains binary data that I cannot read.  I need to change the uninstall so that some of the components that are flagged for removal actually do not get removed.

If anyone knows of a tool I can use to view this file, that would be nice.  But, I really need to know how to process this information automatically, because I need to write a script to handle this for all our installs.  It really doesn't matter what language the script is written in, as long as it can be run on Windows boxes without proprietary software (i.e., I can't install a $50 piece of software on every machine to run the script).

Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 19:49

I believe there's a log file viewer that can display the contents of this file, but it can't edit the file. the format is undocumented.
Your best bet is to copy of move these files before you launch the uninstall, and then move them back.

thebert99

thebert99
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 19:55

Where is this log file viewer?

Also, moving the files is not an option because I have no control over how the uninstall is run.  This is an application that is already deployed on customers' machines.  That is why I need to specifically change how the uninstall works using a patch or something similar.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 20:06

I believe it's included with Professional 5.5. It didn't exist in 5.0, not sure about the versions in between.

If you can run a script that would patch the log, you could as well run a script that would drop a tool to save the files and then run the actual uninstall. Modify the uninstall registry entry to point to your tool, so when the user uninstalls, your tool will run, save the file, and then launch the actual uninstall.

thebert99

thebert99
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 20:17

Well, I am running 5.3, and it's not there.  I'll try your other suggestion.  That sounds like it could work.  Any suggestions on a good C++, Java, or VB library to edit the registry?