This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can't call nested .msi file across network!!

1 reply to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 20:34

I'm calling a child install, I'll call Child.msi, from the Parent install. I'm calling it via an executable (misexec) stored in the property table with the following Custom Action arguements ... /i [SOURCEDIR]Child.msi .

This is how we've normally done this in the past and it seemed to work fine, for the most part.

However, at times, this will not work over a network. If you pull all installation files locally, the install works flawlessly, calling the Child.msi without incident.

Over the network, I get invalid command line arguement messages. Again, locally, I'm fine.

Any ideas?

I see, however, in Developer 8, you can create a Custom Action, selecting New Nested MSI -> On source location. Is this the method I should be using for launching an .msi on the CD/install directory?

If so, I don't know how to select the Source in the Custom Action wizard. Should I simply be placing [SOURCEDIR]Child.msi there?

It seems like this has been a problem recently. Could this have stemmed from different behavior between installations created using Windows Installer v2.03 vs Developer 8?

Again, I'm able to call the Child.msi if the installation fileset is local to the machine. And, this doesn't happen with every network installation.

Also, when I say network installation, I don't mean an administrative installation in any way. I simply mean that the installation files sit in a directory on some machine on the network. The target machine simply points to that location to execute the setup.exe.

If you're not totally confused from this post, at this point, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:29

Nested install custom actions should be avoided, they have too many problems.
The suggested method is using an external exe that would launch the msi file in a row.
Do you have an AppSearch entry that's looking for a registry entry that may return multi-line data? There's a known problem with this which is causing "invalid command line" errors. (It's a long story how these two things relate)