This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help! "The feature you are trying..."

1 reply to this topic

Tedman

Tedman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 17:50

I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious, or has been posted before, but I am a newbie to Installshield and Windows Installer and have reached my frustration limit....

I think this problem is related to the Windows Installer, but I'm not entirely sure.

We have a Human Resources information cd product that is updated 4 times a year. We are currently using InstallShield Express 3.3

Until the last release, users have not experienced difficulties installing the update cds.

Now after some users have installed the update Cd, they get the following message when they try to start the application:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the <product name> disk and press OK"

It doesn't matter if the CD is in the drive or not. Clicking on the MSI file on the CD generates the same result.

This problem is happening primarily on NT and Windows 2000 systems.

The only solution I've been able to come up with is to blow away the profile and reload the software (and all other software).

There has to be a more elegant solution. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 18:42

you might try loking at the policies set on the system ( in particular: AllowLockDownMedia; AllowLockDownBrowse; DisableBrowse; and DisableMedia )...

due to a bug in the v2.0.2600.0 MSI Engine that was fixed in the 'quiet release' of v2.0.2600.2....

good luck...