This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SelfReg

2 replies to this topic

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 14:34

I have a few dlls that are listed in the SelfReg table and they work fine during normal install. But using a GPO, the SelfReg doesn't seem to work and the registry keys for the dlls are not being created. These dlls write the keys to HKCU. Why would the SelfReg not work? I even tried with Admin rights to the user. (if the msi is run directly by the user, the dlls get registered properly)

What rights does the user need to have for SelfReg to work? Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 18:42

Generate a verbose log file. maybe it's being registered in the wrong user's HKCU.
In general, the SelfReg table should be avoided.

rameshk01

rameshk01
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:05

Thanks Stefan. I saw that few other postings also suggested not to use SelfReg. Unfortunately I am at a point where I can't chage it now. But it is definitely in my future plans. But for the time being I went with custom actions to do a regsvr32 on all the dlls that NEED to be registered.

The CustomAction table has the following entry for the dlls that I need to register:

RegSomeDll 98 SystemFolder regsvr32 /s "[TARGETDIR]SomeDll.dll"

Thanks for your help.