This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent uninstall

7 replies to this topic

Jemoo

Jemoo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 05:06

Hi,

In my installation i need to check whether previous application exist and uninstall it. I choose to do silent uninstallation -uninstall - s.
But then there will be auto dialog box coming up , saying " Are you sure you want to remove this "applcation" with a click yes or no. If user click yes then it will uninstall the appliaction but if user say no, then it will continue installation without removing the prevoius one.

My Q, how can i do the unistallation without giving the option to user to say no. i just want to disable the the auto dialog box, or catch the return value of cancel and abort the operation. Any body know how to solve this?

Thank you.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 23:16

Sorry, but you can't.  A silent uninstall simply removes the progress bar dialog.

This prompt is an option which the other application choose to incoporate and since it's already out there isn't out of your control.

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 16:18

If the other application is done in ISP, could you not create a Response file for it, and the uninstall it with the /s /F1<ResponseFile> Parameters?

Bill K

Bill K
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 16:21

Though I have never tried it (I don't believe in hiding things from the user) I believe that you could adjust the OnMaintUIBefore to change/delete this dialog.  Of course, you would have to do that before the original install is done snce the maintenance will start from there.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 17:00

SilentCry: I tried going the response file route, but the uninstall routine just ignored it.  Like I said, all the silent stuff did was just hide the status bar information.
user posted image

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 17:13

TacoBell: i'm now noticing what you mean about the install script ignoring the response file.

Current situation.. Version 2.2 of my software, needs to be removed by version 2.3 or my software.. why not an update, long story..  anyways..

I install 2.2, and run Setup - R to create a response file, this of course -uninstalls- 2.2 in the process (Why IS doesn't simply create the Response file, and leave the application on the system is beyond me.)

I then reinstall 2.2, and run setup -s /F1<location of ISS made earlier> .. I get a totally botched up uninstall, when it decides to uninstall period.

Is there a problem with the Response files?

SC.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 21:03

SilentCry: If I follow you, it's the resulting 2.3's uninstall that is all botched up right?  If so, I can see why you might be having problems then.  Here's my suggestions on the course of action.

Solution 1) In your script, simply require 2.2 to be removed before applying the new 2.3.  You can check (un)install entries and the like to know whether such is the case.

Solution 2)  If that's not acceptable.  Simply add code to your script which, if available, runs 2.2's uninstall routine with the " -s" appended in order to hide the status information.   Then continues on with 2.3's setup.

Solution 3) If the 2.3 setup MUST be run silently, then that'll take some more work.  I'd suggest temp. commenting out 2.2's uninstall from your script (see solution 2).  Run the 2.3 setup on a CLEAN box while at the same time recording the response file.  Then uncomment out the previous stuff.  Next apply 2.2 to another CLEAN box and follow that by running 2.3 with the previously generated response file.  You should still get the usual prompt to remove 2.2, but the rest should be silent.

Hopefully that'll help as I kept gettting interrupted while I wrote this response.
user posted image

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 20:53

Tacobell:  Here's what I did in the end..

1) Installed 2.2 on a clean box.
2) Ran Setup -r to create an uninstall Response file for 2.2
3) Added the response file to my 2.3 Install CD.
4) During the install of 2.3 I check for version 2.2, if it exists, I run "DoInstall with the 2.2 setup.inx file with -s -F1<srcdir>setup.iss"
5) Bang, SilentUninstall of 2.2.

Worked like a charm.  I notice that as long as you keep the .iss file out of the same directory as the setup you want to use it with, it works fine.

SC