This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Basic MSI" vs. "InstallScript MSI"

1 reply to this topic

mishka

mishka
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:59

From reading a lot of threads in installsite forums I received a strong feeling that "Basic MSI" project preferable from "InstallScript MSI" (or standard) project.

Can anybody with expirience in both project types to summarize what I'm losing when I moving to "Basic MSI" ? So far I've compiled the following list:
1. Skins are not available
2. Development is more demanding
3. ...

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:09

I cannot summarize it all unfortunately, but what I know is that you lose the event model of Installscript project: OnUninstall etc... Further Basic MSI projects use windows installer dialogs. These dialogs are A LOT less flexible than the dialogs used in Installscript projects. This can sometimes be a pain, but most of the time you don't need all the bells and whistles of the more advanced dialogs.

The benefit of using Basic MSI more than outweighs these benefits of Installscript MSI. For one thing Basic MSI is less buggy, futher it is REAL windows installer so it is compatible with deployment tools, it is faster, it is in general the only type of project you should use.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul