This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

running batch file after installing MSDE 2000

2 replies to this topic

omriz

omriz
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 17:54

hi
in my project i install MSDE 2000. after installing MSDE my script runs a batch file that use some sql commands.
on some machines the batch file fails because it doesn't recognize the sql commands, even though the environment variable PATH contains the path to mssql binn.
if i add a break point to the script and run the same batch from start-->run or just double click it, the batch runs with no problems.
i know that somtimes MSDE requires a reboot but when i run the installation manually it does not ask for one. further more, i process the message from the MSDE setup and it does not ask for a reboot.
any ideas will be welcome.
thanx for reading through this long message!

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:24

If you start a new dosbox after the break, this thread will get the PATH variable with the mssql path.
The install task does not know about the PATH being altered, so it may be that InstallShield gives the environment WITHOUT the new PATH to the dosbox that runs the batch.

On NT/2k/XP you have to
CODE

#define HWND_BROADCAST        0xFFFF
   #define WM_SETTINGCHANGE      0x001A
// Flush the NT registry to all applications.
    szEnv = "Environment";
pEnv = &szEnv;
SendMessage( HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, 0, pEnv );

Gruß / regards
Thomas

omriz

omriz
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 14:18

thanx for your reply.
i was finally able to bypass the problem by specifying in the batch file: patn=MSSQL_BIN (the full path to the bin dir).
hope this could save some time and frustration to someone...