This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

When is an MSI install complete?

1 reply to this topic

mikescott

mikescott
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 14:24

A number of times I've seen behaviour immediately after an MSI install that has led me to suspect that there can be a delay between the apparent completion of an install and when the new files are actually available.

In all cases it has been on heavily used servers running multiple Perl processes, and the code being installed is new/upgraded Perl modules.

For example, I would run an MSI that installs some shared modules. And then run another MSI which installs a Perl service that uses some of those modules. If I do everything quickly and start the service it can't find the new version of the shared module but say a second or two later it can.

This is one of those things that happen when one is busy and can't be 100% sure that what seemed to happen actually happened.

Has anyone more definite information?

I can't seem to find anything in the documentation that explicity states when all the work is done.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:12

I assume these Perl processes have caches, and only refresh when the existing cache failed obtaining the old modules.
If that is the case, check if you can enforce a refresh yourself.