This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to customise Install Services ?

3 replies to this topic

VicOEM

VicOEM
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 15:22

I use "InstallShield Developer 8.0"
My setup installs a service via component's advanced settings ->Install NT Services . The credentials for service (login and password) are asked during installtion and are not saved anywhere after it.

The problem is : then running upgrade windows installer tryes to install service because the component changed (the binary is of newer version). And it failes because the such service already exists in SCM.
I cant reinstall service because it seems not good idea to delete the old one and ask user for new credentials (login/password) for some reasons. I need only replace old binary file with new one.

So the only way seems to be the setting condition on action InstallServices for it not to start during upgrade. I have not found any standard UI to do this. And I don't like to patch my setup with ORCA each time I rebuild it.

So are there any methods to customize the installation of my service on upgrade?

P.S. one way is to make the empty component (without binary) and with condition (for ex. like "NOT Installed") and use its advanced settings ->Install NT Services. But it seems rather complicated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 15:57

I'm not sure what the real cause for your problem is.
But if you need to put a condition on the InstallServices action I think you can do this in Sequences view, and also in Direct Editor

VicOEM

VicOEM
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 16:31

Thank You Stefan !

Your solution seems to be too easy !
biggrin.gif

Though I dont see any troubles using it my setup.
I only worry if installshield's "compiler" will restore the original condition "VersionNT" for some reasons (for example during upgrade to InstallShield 10), but I hope it is unlikely.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 13:43

No, upgrading InstallShield should reset any modifications in existing projects.