This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patches using a "pure" Installscript project

5 replies to this topic

aviswanathan

aviswanathan
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 20:31

We currently have a "pure" Installscript project and the experience has been satisfactory. But now when we have to plan for applying some patches to the product, I don't see any support for developing patches for an already created pure Installscript project. I use Devstudio 9 and the only option I see is Media --> Update Service. The Update service seems to be a good Installshield marketing strategy but hardly useful when you don't want to spend big bucks.

So is there away to create patches using a pure Installscript project or do we have to start thinking about migrating to Basic MSI projects over a period of time?

I really wish there was some better documentation on this issue as well as the reasons for choosing a pure Installscript and a basic MSI. (I have seen enough negative reviews about Installscript MSI that I won't even include it)

Would really appreciate your comments / help.

Edited by aviswanathan, 07 October 2004 - 20:34.

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 14:27

If you do a search under the IS6 thread and filter with my username (Ozone), you will see a code example of how I have treated the patches issue at our company.

Our method works because we make CD's as customers' order them. So they will receive the compiled CD and we add the patched files when we burn the CD. This minimizes our cost by not mass producing a CD and allows our newest customers to receive our patches\fixes. That eliminates extra support calls for a CD that has bugs...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 16:56

See also my reply to your post in http://forum.install...?showtopic=8734

aviswanathan

aviswanathan
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 22:09

Ozone thanks for your code.
Stefan - Thanks for your release wizard tip. That really looks like a good way to create a simple patch. I would give my points to this tip smile.gif

Between Basic MSI and pure Installshield projects which in your opinion is the way to go as the product increases in complexity and starts requiring more complex c++ exes to manage services, create users, database instance etc.?

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:22

All this would require custom programming, or the latest version of InstallShield (MS SQL database support is in InstallShield X, mySQL and managing users will be in 10.5). Both project formats are supported and maintained by InstallShield, but personnaly I expect MSI to have the brighter future. It's also the standard that Microsoft recommends. If your setup will be deployed by IT administrators they usually prefer MSI, as it can be easily deployed in Active Directory using group policy.
Oh, and don't use "InstallScript MSI".

aviswanathan

aviswanathan
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 00:34

Stefan - thanks once again.

Edited by aviswanathan, 11 October 2004 - 00:34.