This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

minor upgrade in msi

1 reply to this topic

haroldxious

haroldxious
  • Full Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:59

i have read that when you are only doing minor or small upgrade you will only change the package code.

i have done that. ive changed the package code and the version number, then ive created an upgrade msi item in the upgrade tab of basic msi in installshield 12, on that tab it ask for the path of the setup to be the target of the upgrade so ive browse it and select the setup to be upgraded. then i validate the upgrade to be sure and it has no error.

then when i build it and install it error message pop up..another version is installed.

i know that this occurs because i have installed the same msi product having the same product code but different package code on the machine.

but thats the point right? i need to upgrade the product.

i need help on doing this upgrade. please...

thank you very much in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 21:47

You could generate a patch package (.msp) to install the update. This would only include the difference between thew two versions.
If you prefer an .msi file (which can also be used for first time install) you should use setup.exe to launch the new .msi file. Depending on your general update settings this should aks whether you want to perform an update.