This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 2324: Could not open file C:\windows\system3

1 reply to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:36

I am using InstallShield 2008 Premier edition for my installer development activities.
My project is basic msi with setup.exe being generated.
A previous version of the product (version 1)was built using this version of InstallShield. This product targetted the 64 bit Itanium windows servers(IA 64). In version1 , i had added a component with its target directory being set to SYSTEM64 folder(<windir>\system32).
I had marked the file within the component as a key file. Now for the next version of the prodcut we plan to do a minor upgrade. Hence the version was upgraded(version 2).
However when i attemp to upgrade to the latest version, i get the following error:
Error 2324: Could not open file C:\windows\system32\<name of the .dll> GetLastError :2

A error code of 2 indicates that the file could not be found. However the file does exist in the system32 directory. If i were to copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWow64 directory, the install goes through.
I did some research on the web and came across the following links:
http://community.fle....d.php?t=193508

In the above link, one of InstallShield engineers states that this problem occurs if if the 32-bit version of msiexec.exe is used to launch the MSI package, and the package had installed files to the 64-bit System32 folder.In InstallShield 2008, it seems that setup.exe launches a 32 bit msiexec process to run the installation. This seems to have been fixed in IS 2010.

Questions:
1)As per Flexera software, setup.exe built using InstallShield 2008 launches a 32 bit msiexec process even on a 64 bit server. When the observe the same in task manager on an Itanium server, i see two new instances of 32 bit msiexec launched. They appear as msiexec*32. However if the same process Id as got from task manager is observed in Process explorer(Sysinternals), it is pointing to the 64 bit msiexec under C:\windows\system32.

How can this be? Please explain.

2)What is the best way to get around this issue?
I dont want to build my own custom wrapper. This is ruled out.

Kindly help as i am running against time to fix this

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:06

Apparently the link got corrupted. This link should work:
http://community.fle...ad.php?t=193508

From my understanding of that thread, there's no workaround if you keep using InstallShield 2008's setup.exe. You would either have to create your own launcher, or move to a newer version of InstallShield.