This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade question

1 reply to this topic

joker_pl

joker_pl
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 21:07

1) Can minor upgrades contain new files (components).
2) Can i remove some files from minor upgrade (File table)?
if no, how can i prevet to install some files? can i change size of this files?
3) Can i change KeyPath from Component table and can i chane Component in this table in minor upgrades?

What cant i delete,change for minor upgrades (excluding ProductId and UpgradeCode)?

I will install my MSI by reinstalling it.
thanks for help.
Regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 21:35

1) You shouldn't. It would cause problems if both versions of the component are installed on the same machine. Also they may not be installed in your update. Better add them to a new component.
2) As long as they are not key file of a component you could, but you shouldn't. Removing the files from the File table will not delete them from the target machine. You may want to add RemoveFile tbale rows to do that. Otherwise you end up with orphan files. . It would also cause problems if both versions of the component are installed on the same machine.
3) No.

In general, for a minor update you cannot remove components (this includes: you cannot change a component GUID and you cannot remove merge modules), you cannot move a component to another feature, you cannot remove features, you cannot move features around. You cannot change the msi file name.