This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows installer splash screen keeps appearing

6 replies to this topic

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 14:40

Can anyone help me to solve this problem.
I have created a setup using ISWI 2.x.After installing if I open the installed application ,the windows installer screen appears .And after some it asks for the path of the .msi.The installation runs smoothly without any error messages.

Any ideas...??/
Please help...
     If I uninstall and reinstall sometimes this screen comes and sometimes not.But sometimes during the first installation itself it is working properly.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 15:15

This is caused by a faulty installation.

When you click the shortcut msi checks the components related to the feature referenced in the shortcut.  If it finds something amiss it attempts to repair the faulty install.  If there is a fundamental fault in your install database it will never be able to do the repair and will be invoked every time you use the program.

If you create a log file you should be able to establish the feature that contains the faulty component.  

You should run the ICE modules and organise your install so it contains no errors and eliminate as many warnings as posiible.  (It is not always possible to eliminate all warnings)

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 07:18

Thankyou very much for ur reply.Can u help me to how to find the faulty component.

Doing the validation.I got one error and some warnings.But I'm not able to get rid of the error and warnings.Since this is the first time I'm finding it bit difficult  to fix the problem.Also it is confusing for me.
The error I got is

ICE03ErrorAll UPPER case required; Table: Feature, Column: Directory_, Key(s): Webhttp://dartools/iceman/ice03.htmlFeatureDirectory_Web

and warnings are ICE33 and ICE45

ICE45WarningRow 'ServerMode.DlgLine' in table 'Control' has bits set in the 'Attributes' column that are reserved. They should be 0 to ensure compatability with future installer versions.http://dartools/iceman/ice45.htmlControlAttributesServerModeDlgLine

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:26

ICE03 is telling you that the directory that you have chosen for one of your featrues (Directory_Web?).  Is not valid

What have you entered here?

ICE33 is complatining that you have defined something in the registry table that should be defined in the Class, Typelib,. Verb, Extension, ProgId, AppId or Mime tables.

ICE45 appears harmless.  It is annoying that InstallShield's user interface creates invalid objects.  You may be able to adjust this.   This is not causing your repair.

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:57

Thank you Blake.I got rid of that error.
I specified a directory which is not existlng.So during validation the error came.
Thanx for ur help.

Hemamalini

Hemamalini
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 12:18

Can you tell me how to  find the faulty component.
and how to check there is a fault in my install database and rectify the fault.
Please help me

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 12:47

The way I do it is to generate a log file.  The normal way to do this is to use  the /L switch on an msiexec command line.  This can not be used in this case so you need to set the registry key to generate a logfile.

Open Notepad
Cut the file below
------ Cut below this line ----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="iwearucmopv"
------ Cut above this line ----------------------------
Paste into note pad.
Save as SetLogPolicy.Reg
Double click SetLogPolicy.Reg
You may need to reboot I am not sure.

From now on whenever msiexec pops up a log file is recorded in your temp directory.  (Your temp directory is found under C:\Documents And Settings\<You>\Local Settings\temp under recent systems and Windows\temp on the older systems)  The logfile is given the name MSIxxxxx.log.

Inspecting this log in the first few lines one the parameters will be REINSTALL=YOURFEATURENAME.  This will give you some idea to what is being repaired.

Reading logfiles is difficult at first but in the end you will gain a better understanding to how msi works.