This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Another Version has installed" message

8 replies to this topic

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 01:36

Hi,

I have two installers, both use the same merge modules.

I install hte first installer, all works fine and then I go an install the second one and it says that I have it installed already and to remove it from the Add/Remove program.

I dont have it installed.

I changed all the PUID and GUID, same problem.
Only thing I can think of is that it shares the same merge modules.

Any way to get around it?

Thanks in advanced!

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:55

I am sure that the reason for your problem are not the MergeModules.

There are several GUIDs which should be specific for an installation package:
  • ProductCode
  • PackageCode
  • UpgradeCode
I'm almost sure that your two installation packages have the same ProductCode or the same PackageCode
You cannot install two different products with the same ProductCode on the same PC.
And, even more important, there may not be two different installation packages with the same PackageCode. Change the PackageCode with every build of your setup.
The UpgradeCode may be the same for different products.

To look at these three GUIDs use ORCA to open your MSIs:
ProductCode and UpgradeCode are properties in the Property table.
The PackageCode can be found in ORCA by using "View/Summary Information", it's the GUID shown in the field ProductID (I'm always confused by this name, it looks pretty much like ProductCode but it's something totally different).

Be aware of ORCA's bad behaviour to change the "last changed date/time" value even if you only look in the file and don't change anything.
h.teichert-ott

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:38

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Problem is, I have changed the All the codes via DevStudio's interface 3 times and it is still happening.

I wil probably try loggin tomorrow, but Im just finding it weird.

I checked the Uninstall key in the registry and renamed it, but it it still saying that another version is installed.

I know with installshield professional, the Add/Remove is triggered by the folder existing in the Program Files > Installshield Information folder.

How does MSI trigger this event?

Very confused =(

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 13:22

MSI has a different location to keep track of installed products. (It's in the registry, it's obsured and not documented so don't try to modify it)

Double check the ProductCodes on the two .msi files (there are several places to set them in InstallShield so you may have overlooked something). Looking at the actual .msi files with Orca will tell you.

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 22:45

WOAH!

Yes Orca did tell me that the product Code was exactly the same!!!!

I am very puzzled as to why DevStudio 9, gives me different product Code to the one in Orca.

hmmmmm...

Thanks heaps anyways!!

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 22:50

Damn,

I thought it would have worked!

I went into my project and changed the product code manually in the table.

Dev Studio is still building the MSI with the old product code which is the same as the first product.

Where else is it getting this code from??

When I look at the new MSI in orca, it is not picking up the new product code.

Help again.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:55

There are two places in DevStudio where you cans et the ProductCode: in General settings, and in your Product Configuration (under releases). The latter takes precedence over the first.

mouy

mouy
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:25

YIPPEE
that was the problem,

THanks!

Thing is everytime I load the project and rebuild it, I need to generate taht code?

Thanks again!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 18:59

Whenever you build a new version that you want to install side-by-side with an older version, or that you want to install as a Major Upgrade (i.e. replace the older version) you must generate a new ProductCode.