This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Recommendations Wise/InstallShield/VisualStudio

1 reply to this topic

blood_on_ice

blood_on_ice
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 18:01

Hello!

I want to create a msi-setup to deploy our ClickOnce Files to the server of our customers. What I want ist the following:

First-Install:
- Dialog to write the Install-Path in
- Copy the files to a directory/Web-Dir or FTP-Dir
- Dialog with Textboxes (Servername etc.)
- Edit an XML-File
- Dialog to choose the Certification-File
- Enter Password for that File
- Resign the Application-Manifest and the Deployment-Manifest of the ClickOnceFiles with this Certification (I've created a custom-action for that, or I could use the command-line tool mage.exe for this)

Update-Install:
- Detect the previous Installation
- Read XML-File from the detected install-path
- Copy the new Files
- Dialog to choose the Certification-File
- Enter Password for that File
- Resign the Application-Manifest and the Deployment-Manifest of the ClickOnceFiles with this Certification (I've created a custom-action for that, or I could use the command-line tool mage.exe for this)

What are your recommendations to do this...is visual studio (2005) able to do this all or should I better use Wise, InstallShield or another product?

Thanks for your advice!

Kind regards,
Peter Wyss

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:01

I don't think VS has a dialog editor for installs, does it? I can't recall - it's been a while...

In any event, you'll find the tools from the two main protaganists - Wise and InstallShield - have MSI-authoring functionality way above that available in the VS editor. I've looked at the other tools (some freeware) out of curiousity but always end up returning to Wise/InstallShield.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.