This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

I can't believe this is impossible....

3 replies to this topic

Mark Cook

Mark Cook
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 13:16

All I want to do is remove an existing product during my uninstall. I can't do this using a "Launch an executable" custom action because I need to support silent uninstall and nested install/uninstalls from the command line have to go in the user interface sequence.

I tried using a type 39 custom action but this was only partially successful in that some but not all of the child installation was removed. Reading through the documentation again however, it appears that you can only use this method for uninstalling if you installed the product in the first place.  (To quote the MSI help file: "The Type 39 custom action cannot be used to reinstall, or remove any product that previously was installed by any other means").

I cannot install the base product myself because it requires that the MSI is only launched from setup.exe (If I double click on the .MSI file it simply pops up a message box indicating that the product should be installed by running setup.exe). I can't run setup.exe because of the restrictions on running nested installations in the execute sequence mentioned earlier.

I don't believe that I'm asking too much of an install product. I could install and uninstall my product using a batch file and then I wouldn't have this problem.

I've been writing software for over 12 years now and this is without a doubt the most frustrating product I've ever come across!!

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 18:42

yeh... puts hairs on your chest doesnt it??? you're not alone, its a warzone!   sorry, cant help you, only can offer empathy. ;-)

cheers,
Dev

Tom

Tom
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 19:42

I'm curious where it says that nested (un)installs need to be run during the 'User Interface' sequence - I couldn't find it.  

Assuming that's accurate, my best suggestion is to author the base app's uninstall command intot he RunOnce key during your sub-app uninstall.  At least it's silent, just not quick (not finished until a reboot)

Oh yeah...aside from the fact that your situation is a bit out of the ordinary...your anger is at Microsoft, not InstallShield - the problems you're running into (restriction on Type39 custom action, running nested installs in User Interface if that's in fact true) is all part of MSI...not ISWI.

"Welcome to the party, pal!" - Bruce Willis