This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Using ISPRO7 with Update Service

1 reply to this topic

jdeleeuw

jdeleeuw
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 06:28

I’m testing ISPRO 7. In this new version it’s possible to use a Multi-Instance Setup. But you can’t use the Update Service in combination with the Multi-Instance?!

What I see is that when you use the multi-instance setup it creates for each new copy a new GUID. But I assume that you can still use the PRODUCT_GUID for the InstallShield Update Service ? So when you install a new copy of the Setup it makes a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file and not a INSTANCE_GUID.ini for the Update Service ?!

So this is what I want:
I install version 1.0. In the registry a new INSTANCE_GUID is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 1.0. I install version 1.0 again but in a different directory. In the registry a new INSTANCE_GUID is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 1.0 (this one doesn’t change). I install version 2.0 but in a different directory. In the registry a new INSTANCE_GUID is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 2.0. etc etc.

I was not able to get the Multi_Instance running in combination with the Update Service the way i descibed above. Does anyone know a workaround for this problem ?

In the ISPRO 6.3 version I used a GUID.exe which generated for each a new version a new GUID. I install version 1.0. In the registry a new PRODUCT_GUID_0 is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 1.0. I install version 1.0 again but in a different directory. In the registry a new PRODUCT_GUID_1 is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 1.0 (this one doesn’t change). I install version 2.0 but in a different directory. In the registry a new PRODUCT_GUID_2 is created. For the Update Service a PRODUCT_GUID.ini file is created with version 2.0. etc etc.

jdeleeuw

jdeleeuw
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:24

I already find a workaround for this problem:

For the ISPRO 7 Project I enabled the Multi-Instance Setup. I tried to add the UpdateService Object with “Insert InstallShield Object” but this one was not in the Gallery. So I copied the “InstallShield Update Service Object” directory of ISPRO 6.3 to the D:\Program Files\InstallShield\Professional 7\Objects directory. I registered the object in the registry the way all other objects are registerd. Now I was able to add the UpdateService Object with “Insert InstallShield Object” because it was now in the Gallery. I add the runtime of the UpdateService in the OnBegin function the way we used to do in ISPRO 6.3. And voila it’s working !!!