This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Need Serious Help with Install

2 replies to this topic

• 58 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 21:27

I created a dialog that asks which DB you are installing.  There are three choices (SQL, Oracle, DB2).  This dialog is done at the very beginning of the install right before the LaunchConditions and SetupInitialization in the UI Sequence.

The user selects one of the databases and then I go into the install and by using MsiSetProperty, I turn off the other two.  The reason for this is that they all of the files install to the same location, but have different information inside the files and instead of the user copying over the correct DB stuff, they will get the correct stuff installed.

Now, going through the install, if the user changes the location as to where the product gets installed, these files are still copied to the old default location while the other files (that aren't touched) do get copied over correctly.

Does anyone know how to fix this or even better, understand what I am saying?

Thanks.

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 11:55

posty,

My first impression is that the directory that the DB goes into is not a public property (i.e. in UPPER case).

Just remember that anything set external to the MSI has to be a Public Property, or it's not set.

Cheers

Adam

Rayhawk

Rayhawk
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2002 - 03:46

AdamBell is probably right about the global name for the [do or don't] install property.  There also could be another cause:  check to make sure that the MsiSetProperty() is succeeding AND that it's taking place at a point where it can have an affect.  Otherwise, you may want to do a FeatureIsItemSelected(<your_DB_Featurename>, TRUE/FALSE) upon each.

ALSO:  In case you are using a property to hold each feature's target install location, I'd recommend that you do NOT use a property to do this.  Instead, use a Directory Table entry.  You can still do an MsiSetProperty() upon this as if it were a property--that should even out your target locations.

You will have the added bonus of having it show up in your drop-down lists for install locations too.

NOTE:  you can have a property and directory table entry by the same name--this produces inconsistent results and is a BAD idea.  I did this on accident once . . . .