This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Monitoring an MSI Installation

2 replies to this topic

harinder_singh

harinder_singh
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 20:11

I have a question on the MSI API. I need to monitor user responses to an MSI installation session. I am planning to use the responses to create an MSI transform that I could apply to the original MSI to create an unattended installation.

Can I use MsiSetExternalUI to capture user responses? Any examples, pointers to further information is greatly welcomed.

Thanks

mjb750q

mjb750q
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 20:34

have you tried creating the transform with some specific msi software, such as wise or installshield...

I'm 80% sure you can create transforms in Orca (which is free), but I'm not in the office so it's not 100% smile.gif

Cheers.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:39

If you switch to an external UI you lose the internal UI, so I guess that's not what you want. You probably would have to hook into the dialogs and capture the property changes. I don't know how InstallShield is doing it but their product includes a tool for that purpose, so somehow it's possible.