This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading installscript MSI

3 replies to this topic

danalifs

danalifs
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:39

Hi,
I have an Installation created with Install Script MSI. i need to create an upgrade for this installation. will it be possible to create as pure MSI?

thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:43

With a Major Upgrade (i.e. changed ProductCode) this might work (I haven't tried it). As a Minor Update I'm pretty sure it won't work.

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 14:25

It's been my experience that the chances of this working are inversely proportional to how many system changes you made through the script (as opposed to from within the MSI). If all you did in the script was gather information, then you should be able to upgrade using a Basic MSI major upgrade. But if you made system changes in the previous script (XFileCopy, RegDBSetKeyValue, etc.), you'll have to uninstall those items using RemoveFile and RemoveRegistry tables, and maybe some custom actions.

If you set properties in the previous script that are needed by the uninstall, this can also be a problem trying to upgrade with a Basic MSI.

Note: if you do not have to support silent installation, you can run the InstallScript MSI uninstall from the UI sequence, which will do a clean uninstall. Schedule it as a custom action at then very end of the UI sequence, just before ExecuteAction. This breaks the BestPractice rule of not making system changes during the UI sequence, and can't be rolled back if your installation fails or is cancelled, but it has worked for us in some cases. Of course, you can't do that if you need to run silently, since the UI sequence gets skipped in that case.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

vPanchumarthi

vPanchumarthi
  • Full Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 15:31

Hi,

As an InstallScript MSI upgradation, you can go ahead with Minor Upgrade / Major Upgrade. Both the things will work. Depending up on the feature(s)/Component(s) in your latest MSI, you can choose Minor/Major upgrade