This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Lock Permissions

2 replies to this topic

Heaton

Heaton
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 03:12

Hi,

I've been using Wise for Windows for a while now and one thing that I repeatedly come back to is PERMISSIONS. This area has been greatly improved in version 3.5, but I still can't add a security group to an existing set of permission on a particular folder, without effecting the permissions already there and the inheritable setting.

For example lets say  I create a folder under WINNT and then change it's permissions. The allow inheritable pemissions tick box will be cleared, and ONLY the permissions I apply via WISE will be applied.

Now, I add a sub folder, under the one I have just created. But this time I don't change any permissions. This sub-folder inherts it's permissions from the WINNT folder NOT the one directly above! So if I want this folder to have the same permissions I have to apply them expicitly.

I suppose what I really want to know is, is there a way within the MSI to :

A: Add permissions without effect the existing settings

B: A way of setting the "Allow inheritable permissions from parent ..." to checked.

Cheers
Paul

Alexander Smith

Alexander Smith
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 20:07

Typically, I've found the ideal way to change permissons under Win2k is using cacls.exe.  If you need syntax just call the exe under cmd.exe like "cacls.exe /?" obviously without the quotes.

Typically, I do this in Installshield by adding a custom action, and I modify the permissons, because otherwise it blows them away and replaces them, it gives details when you do the above anyways.

Ex:  run cmd.exe then at the prompt type,

cacls.exe "C:\Program Files\testtest" /t /e /g users:c  

this would give the gruop users, Read/Write/Modify Access but not full access.  Note: Quotations must be used when defining the path only if your path has spaces in its name.

Hope this helps.

-Alex

(Edited by Alexander Smith at 1:23 pm on Aug. 9, 2001)

DazzaH

DazzaH
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 12:47

Is there really no way of telling your MSI to add to the existing permissions rather than just delete them all???
Seems a bit rubbish to me – keeps us all busy discovering workarounds though!

Apparently XCACLS.EXE has a bit more functionality than CACLS.