This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

What's your opinion on the new InstallShield X ?

1 reply to this topic

tw0001

tw0001
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 23:26

Are you surprised that they came out with an entirely new version only 7 months after DevStudio 9 went gold? I didn't even know it went to beta, that's how out of it I was.

Do you think it's a good idea to force users to take MultiPlatform and Update Service just to get the newer "pieces" of DevStudio?

Do you think that the practice of bug fixes in new versions only is a good one? Looking at the release notes there is a ton of fixes in there that could be put into DevStudio 9, or even Professional 7.

How about the practice of only allowing language packs in the Premier version of the product (considerably more expensive). Here's a quote from their sales page:

"Looking to buy a language pack for InstallShield X? Language packs are exclusively available in the Premier Edition. To get your special pricing, please contact InstallShield Sales with your serial number." You cannot even get language packs on X Professional.

Also, will you please create some forums for InstallShield X?

Thanks
Ted.

Edited by tw0001, 04 May 2004 - 22:10.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 18:46

Do you think it's a good idea to force users to take MultiPlatform and Update Service just to get the newer "pieces" of DevStudio?
Yes. If you don't need Java based setups, you don't have to use them. But some companies must at least support Linux to some degree, and now they don't have to buy an additional tool. Note that the upgrade to InstallShield X has the same price as the upgrade to DevStudio had previously, so basically you get the MultiPlatform functionality for free.
And providing a free update notification tool is also nice IMO.

Do you think that the practice of bug fixes in new versions only is a good one?
I agree that this is a problem (if they don't release updates for DevStudio anymore, which I don't know)

How about the practice of only allowing language packs in the Premier version of the product (considerably more expensive).

It simplyfies the number of available products and options. Let's look at the list prices (for full versions):

InstallShield X Premier: 1999 EUR

DevStudio 9: 1199 EUR
West Pack: 599 EUR
East Pack: 1199 EUR
Total for DevStudio 9: 2997 EUR

Even if you don't need the eastern languages, the total for DevStudio 9 would be 1798 EUR, so Premier would cost 200 EUR more, but you get more languages and some other features that are only included in the Premier edition.

For updates it's similar:

InstallShield X Premier Update from DevStudio with language pack: 999 EUR

DevStudio 9 update from Developer: 599 EUR
West Pack update: 199 EUR
East Pack update: 299 EUR

Also, will you please create some forums for InstallShield X?
Yes I will smile.gif