This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Com Extract

3 replies to this topic

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:56

Hi,

I am trying to abandon self register because installshield tells me not to use that, but com extract doesn't work ;-( I have read loads of posts on this topic, but haven't come accross a real answer.

I can register my dll or exe with regsvr32 or /regserver. Even RegSpyui.exe from Installshield can extract the info, but Com extract at build fails.....

The only thing I can see in dependency walker is that some of my dll do not seem to have a dllregister and unregister function.

Any other ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks, Raoul

anarres

anarres
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:46

This may not be the answer, but one reason we had for com extract failing (in earlier versions if IS) is that there were multiple DLL entries in the registry on the build machine.

This happened with a VB DLL that had didn't have binary compatability set, and to fix it we had to remove all the extra entries from the registry. Weird, but true.

To make this task easier try using COM Explorer, you get a free trial period:

http://www.4dev.com/com/

Let us know if this helps smile.gif

Edited by anarres, 26 April 2004 - 09:47.

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:55

Thanks for the reply.

That definitly isn't the case on my machine. It is a clean build system without any dll's or what so ever registred.

I did a manual search through the registry to see if I could find anything, but I could not.

Raoul

anarres

anarres
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:05

Just FYI, this was happening on our build machine too.

It has nothing to do with installing the application you are trying to compile - ISWI was putting these entries in the registry anyway! blink.gif

Anyway, after many many compiles where the type library GUID changed (any VB registering DLL without "binary compatability" set), this problem would occour.

Manually searching the registry is a nightmare for these things since the GUIDs are all totally different and there is no way to know what they are.

If you haven't downloaded and tried COM Explorer I strongly suggest you do, but as always, it's your choce. wink.gif