This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WININSTALL LE 2003

4 replies to this topic

asking01

asking01
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 14:19

I am trying to create an MSI package which is large in size. Everytime the package looks like it is going to complete I get a database file error.. After looking at a recent forum discussion, someone else has had the same problem, how do you get around this error? MSDB.exe has been mention but how do you use this?

Any help very much appreciated!

Andy

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 14:52

WinIstall LE is a *repackaging* tool, not the ideal tool for *authoring* a setup. Also, I have no experince with it. If the issue is general msi I may be able to help, but if it's specific to WinInstall I probably won't be able to help.

In any case it would help if you post an exact description of the problem: when do you get the error (at build time or at install time or when your application runs after the install) and what the exact error message is. Maybe then someone can help.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 15:23

Do I recall that WI uses an MDB to store package information? It could be that a record size is being exceeded. Try splitting the package into two, perhaps by selecting one sub-set of features from the app being captured into one project and the remaining features to another. You could then merge the two MSIs together with the SDK scriot WiMerge.VBS.

Note that I have never used that script and cannot therefore attest to its efficacy so you would be best advised to back up both MSIs beforehand.

Lastly, if you (or your employer) are serious about packaging, get a proper tool.

Edited by VBScab, 12 December 2007 - 15:24.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

asking01

asking01
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 16:15

What proper tool would you suggest?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:36

The two main players are Altiris with Wise (Package Studio and other assorted flavours) and MacroVision with InstallShield (Admin Studio and other assorted flavours). There are some shareware and freeware alternatives: I've heard good things about but have no experience of Advanced Installer. I'm sure a Google will turn stuff up.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.