This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch Development

3 replies to this topic

rajeshpr

rajeshpr
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:28

Hi,

I am using VS 2005 setup and deployment project to develop a windows installer for our product deployment package.

Now we need to send out updates when ever we change something in our dll's exe's and the database.

Could anyone suggest me what would be the best way to develop a patch to send out the updates using the VS 2005 setup and deployment project.

Any help is welcome.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 16:43

VS doesnt support the creation of patches. Either use the low level tools from the SDK or get one of the more powerful Windows Installer authoring tools. See http://www.installsi...g/go/misdev.htm for a list.

nan

nan
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 22:58

QUOTE (rajeshpr @ 2008-05-26 11:28)
Hi,

I am using VS 2005 setup and deployment project to develop a windows installer for our product deployment package.

Now we need to send out updates when ever we change something in our dll's exe's and the database.

Could anyone suggest me what would be the best way to develop a patch to send out the updates using the VS 2005 setup and deployment project.

Any help is welcome.

Among the installation authoring tools, I would highlight InstallAware because of its exclusive One-Click Patching feature. InstallAware provides true one click patching - just add "patch references" to your project, which are simply older versions of the product you are patching against. Then click the Build Patch button, and InstallAware will automatically create a patch that updates all the base packages (patch references) for you.

A patch build contains differential binary updates of the files changed between the latest version of your application, and the older versions of your application that you are patching against. Therefore, patch builds are very small in size and are very easy to distribute.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:26

nan,

I don't know if you are working for InstallAware, but I noticed that all posts you've made so far are essentially advertisements for InstallAware. There are many MSI authoring tools on the market, and InstallAware is one of them as we all know. It's also included in the list that I've mentioned in my previous post. So I kindly ask that you avoid this type of post.