This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Driver Setup file

7 replies to this topic

ckh1980

ckh1980
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:10

How to create a driver setup file without call the add new hardware wizard to install new hardware ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:21

You mean how to create an .inf file for driver installation? Or how to run it to install the driver?
In the first case I'd suggest you look at the DDK (driver development kit) from Microsoft. In the latter case see "Install a Plug&Play Device Driver INF File" at http://www.installsi.../en/isp_ext.htm

ckh1980

ckh1980
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:04

Is the second case, i download the sample code before, but how to use it ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:34

Basically your run the DrvInstall.exe using LaunchAppAndWait. Have you looked at the sample code?

kgandh2

kgandh2
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:49

Hi,

Am facing the same problem. I have an upper filter driver to the file system that i want to install by making an Installshield setup. There is an INF file for the driver.

Is my driver a device driver, i.e., can I use the InstallInfFile API? If not, then in the LaunchAppAndWait API, what do I give as the Hardware ID since my driver is an UpperFilter Driver?

Thanks and regards,

Kunal Gandhi

ckh1980

ckh1980
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:17

i have looked the source code, but how do i call this function ? and how can i get the hardware id ?

kgandh2

kgandh2
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:19

As in the source code, you can call this API with the neessary arguments. First one is the DrvInstall.exe's path including the name, second is the path of the INF file. I guess we do not give the name of the INF File and just the path as it automatically finds the appropriate INF File. I don't know how you find the hardware ID but the registry key where you need to look for it is also mentioned in the example.

My delimna is that my driver is a filter driver. What would be my hardware ID? Would it work without giving the hardware ID? In this case, would DrvInstall.exe find the appropriate INF File on its own?

Thanks,

Kunal Gandhi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 14:57

Sorry, I don't know about filter drivers. (What are they used for?)
You will have to try, or read the documentation. (There must be some documentation that describes how to install a filter driver)