This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

real basic info needed!

1 reply to this topic

newby

newby
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 22:59

i have windows 98 and have never understood where installshield came from, and don't understand any of the questions or answers in this forum. all i know is that it pops up when i install a program and has been a problem for me:
1. when trying to install a palm program installer, i received the message:
 iKernel.exe could not be copied to 'c:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel32'     what is all this about? what can i do about it?
2. i tried to install a cordless keyboard/mouse but since the installshield box pops up that must be answered while there is not a keyboard yet installed, i have been unable to install it. is there someway to disable installshield?

i have been searching for hours for a site with simple answers to basic questions, without any luck. any help with these questions would make this newby very grateful....

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 07:17

InstallShield is the tool taht was used to create the setup program you use to install these programs.

For the first issue you can try to rename the folder 'c:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel32', reboot, and re-start the setup.

In the second case if the author of the setup program decided to request data from you (user name, license key, whatever) during the installation, that requires a keyboard, this looks like a deadlock situation. Maybe you can plug in a conventional keyboard, run the setup, and then replace the keyboard? Or you contact your vendor for support.