This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Self Registration Problems on W98 with Office 2k and IS 5.5

3 replies to this topic

miltv

miltv
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2001 - 20:27

I have been experiencing trouble with IS 5.5 and files that self register on systems with Windows 98 2nd ed. and Office 2000.  Specifically, files that should self register at the end of my install do not and IS gives a registration failed message.  The odd thing is that I can register these files manually using regsvr32.exe and the problem only occurs if Office 2000 is present.   I get the failure if I use the batch self registration feature or if I use xcopy instead.  Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions for dealing with this problem.  I do not want to upgrade to IS 6.x at this late stage of my project.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

Regards,

AndrewWalker

AndrewWalker
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 March 2001 - 19:52

You said that using Regsvr32.exe works, so one way to handle this problem is something like this:

Use ComponentFileEnum(...) to get a list of the files in a component.
Loop through this list and use a call to LaunchAppAndWait(WINSYSDIR ^ "Regsvr32.exe", FileFromList, WAIT) to register all of the files in the component.

Do this late in the install so that you know the components that are about to be registered have everything in place that they need.

miltv

miltv
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2001 - 20:47

I believe that I have solved my problem.  I did a little more digging and I found that after my install had run, regsvr32.exe would NOT work if I tried it before rebooting the system.  I suspect that the newer MSVCRT dlls that I was moving onto the system caused a problem with regsvr32 until the PC is rebooted.  I fixed my problem by moving and registering the file I needed prior to moving the bulk  of the program files onto the system while regsvr32 was still intact.