This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Failed to register dll in Vista with IS12

3 replies to this topic

mcnemy

mcnemy
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 21:10

I was using IS11 for my installation package.
Installation was failing in Windows Vista (apparently it is a known issue? and needed to upgrade to IS12)

Upgraded to IS12.
Also, updated my installation package for IS12.

Then tried to install it in a Vista again.
Installation seemed to be successful during the test run.
But registering the dlls failed.

So, now i'm wondering if there is any limitation on Vista or IS12 or do I need to update/change something in the installation.

I would appreciate a response regarding this matter. Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 16:47

How do you register the DLL? Self registration (InstallShield or MSI method?), COM extract at build, COM extract when you add the file? How does it fail (error messages, missing registry entries, runtime error codes)? Did you generate a installation log file?

mcnemy

mcnemy
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 19:42

I'm doing a Self Registration with the dll properties (checkbox)

error message is the following:

Error 1904. Module c:\path of my dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 13:32

I belive this by default uses the InstallShield self registration custom actions. One of them used to be scheduled as "deferred" in previous versions of InstallShield but should be "deferred in system context" to work on Vista. Go to the Custom Actions view, right click, select "show all", find the CA in question and correct its runtime option. I guess that migrating your project to IS 12 didn't update this. You can also create a new project in IS 12, add a self registering file, and compare the two projects.