This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dynamic file links and upgrades

3 replies to this topic

raven4281

raven4281
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 16:05

Hello,

Problem: Using dynamically linked files and trying to do an upgrade does not copy modified files even if they have a newer time-stamp.

I have been researching this for a while now and yet to come across a solution. I realize for dynamically linked files you have to follow this link here: Dynamic upgrades

Situation:
-Basic MSI project for InstallShield11.5
-Lots of features, sub-features, and components
-Lots of dynamically linked files
-We have an existing install with several (hundred) versions already in customers hands.
-We have a ton of files dynamically linked in a lot of different sub-folders
-The folders and files that are dynamically link change every single build we do. Because of this
1)it would be a maintenance nightmare to convert to statically linked files
2) Adding a key file per directory would be a maintenance nightmare since the directories change every day
3) We can't make each dynamically linked sub-directory into a single component since the directory structure changes frequently

Our current work around is to do an uninstall and then re-install, but this takes a long time, with the amount of files we have to copy and the amount of pre-requisites that get uninstalled and then reinstalled

Is there another solution or feasible work around to upgrading dynamic files?

Thanks

Edited by raven4281, 17 April 2008 - 16:26.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 17:46

You could use one of the tools listed under "Create Components Automatically" at http://www.installsi.../en/msi/isd.htm to automatically create your components.

raven4281

raven4281
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 19:51

I don't see how creating the components automatically solves my problem. It solves the problem of removing the time of having to add each file as a separate component, but doesn't solve the upgrade problem.

For example,
I use the tool to create the components based off of todays structure. It adds all the components of all the sub-directories for me. But when that structure changes tomorrow, then those components become invalid. But, I could re-run the tool and recreate the components; but in the case how will the upgrade work? It may do fine copying the new files, but it still wont copy the same files that have a newer timestamp because the component GUIDs are different.

On top of that, the only option I have of the 2 tools there is the BPrac which builds from the command line, and it does not create a component from each file, so I would run into problems when other files besides the key file have been modified.

It may be that I am looking at it the wrong way; please let me know if I missed something.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 16:09

For small and minor updates (ProductCode doesn't change) you cannot remove components, you can only add. However, you could set the condition for obsolete components to 0 and set "re-evalaute condition" to yes.